Antibiotics! Some Harmful Aspects and Prevention Tips

By Sunny |
|5 min read

Antibiotics, which are also known as antibacterials, are medicines which help in destroying and slowing down the growth of bacteria in the body. These include powerful drugs which cure diseases caused by bacteria. Antibiotics like penicillin, amoxicillin, ampicillin, and benzylpenicillin are widely used for the treatment of different infections. As for flu, colds, coughs and sore throat, they cannot be cured by using antibiotics, because they are caused by viruses. You need to be very careful while using antibiotics, or infection can restart if you stop them early. If you overusing antibiotics you may end up with certain symptoms, there are methods of how to prevent this, however.

Harmful Aspects of Over Dosage

Should you ever overdose on antibiotics? The answer is clearly no. Overdosage of antibiotics is dangerous and you must visit your doctor immediately if you think you have taken more antibiotics than prescribed.

1. Skin issues

Antibiotics can lead to some skin issues. The problems like pale skin, skin rash, fingernails, and bluish lips are due to the overdose of antibiotics.

2. Intestinal issues

Overdose can lead to upset r stomach as well. You can experience abdominal pain, cramping, diarrhea, and nausea.

3. Change good bacteria to bad

Gene transfer process is used as a defense by bacteria against antibiotics. They don't need to reproduce; they can simply pass the genes to fellow bacteria. In this way, they can transfer the resistance genes as well as other forms of bacteria. This transfer can change good bacteria into bad as well.

4. Antibiotics resistance

The overdosage can trigger antibiotic resistance as well. It happens when the bacteria develop the ability to fight the antibiotics which are actually designed to kill them. When they become resistant, antibiotics cannot fight them anymore and bacteria further multiply. If this happens, you will have to choose another curing method when you catch the same disease.

5. Untreatable gonorrhea

Antibiotics can cause untreatable gonorrhea. The people who are suffering from this disease are at risk of pelvic inflammation, neonatal eye infection, ectopic pregnancy, and tubal infertility.

6. Allergy

People sometimes have allergic reactions as well due to antibiotics such as cephalosporin and penicillin. This allergic reaction leads to wheezing, coughing, breathing difficulties and skin rashes. However, you can treat those using antihistamines. In some cases, the overdosage can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction as well which is known as anaphylaxis and the symptoms include fast heartbeat, breathing difficulty, a sudden feeling of fear, falling unconsciousness and drop in blood pressure.

7. Havoc in gut flora

The over dosage of antibiotics can upset the balance of the gut flora in the stomach. Gut flora is required for the proper digestion when the gut flora has reduced the possibility of diarrhea increases. Children are more vulnerable to the diseases so try to give them alternative treatments. Digestive issues like imbalanced gut flora are more common in the children.

8. Toxic disease

The threat of toxic disease is there when the antibiotics have overdosed. This overdosage actually kills the pathogenic bacteria which can lead to some toxic diseases in the body. The death of pathogenic bacteria allows many toxins to enter the blood which then affects different organs of the body. This affects the weakest parts first and then proceeds to the stronger ones.

How to Take Antibiotics Sensibly

Too many antibiotics are dangerous for you. How can you avoid the situation? Read the following tips.

  • Check expiry date

It is very important to check the expiry date of the medicine. Dispose of all the drugs when the expiration date has passed.

  • Avoid damaged drugs

Avoid all the drugs from the containers if they are damaged before opening. If the medicines are opened before purchases throw them away.

  • Pack the left medicines safely

If some of the medicines are left even after the treatment, dispose of them at a safe place. These days many drug stores, doctor offices, and pharmacies offer such services.

  • Read the directions carefully

The complete information about the appropriate doses and dosing times is given on the prescription of drugs, even over the counter (OTC) ones. Read these directions carefully on the medicine bottle and strictly follow them.

  • Dosage delivery device

It is better to use the dosage delivery device such as a spoon or dropper which is with the medicine. These delivery devices help in accurately measuring the dose size of the medicine.

  • Strictly follow doctor's prescription

The most important instruction is the one given by the doctor. Follow the prescription of the pharmacist and doctor because in some cases it may differ a bit from that of the bottle.

Never mix medicines unless the doctor has told you about their interactions. For example, mixing an OTC drug with alcohol can lead to overdose.

Antibiotics are important when it comes to fighting bacteria in the body. Can you take too much antibiotics? No, they are only safe when used as per the prescription of the doctor. Overdose can lead to some serious problems which include allergies, issues in intestine and skin a and few other toxic diseases. You can prevent the over dosage by reading the label carefully and adhering to the doctor instructions.



By clicking into any content on this site, you agree to our privacy and cookies policy.